Coconut water & its benefits.
Rejuvenate this summer with a glass of refreshing coconut water. Named “Mother Nature’s sports drink”, the demand of Tender coconut water is skyrocketing, endorsed by celebrity and athletes, this refreshing drink promises to hydrate the body and help with a whole host of conditions, from hangovers to cancer and kidney stones.
One of the most valuable super foods on earth and nature’s most refreshing drinks, coconut water is packed with a variety of health benefits. Coconut water is the purest liquid second only to water and is now popular all over the world for its refreshing nutty taste as well as its health benefits.
Drinking coconut water straight from a green tender coconut in the summer heat is simply divine. Nothing can be better than coconut water to beat the tropical summer thirst. It is excellent for electrolyte replenishment in body fluids when a person loses a considerable amount of water due to perspiration in scorching summer heat.
Each coconut contains 200ml to 1000ml of water depending on its cultivar size and type. Loaded with vital nutrients, coconut water is a very good source of B-complex vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pyridoxine, and folates. It is rich in amino acids, enzymes, dietary fiber, vitamin C and minerals such as potassium, magnesium and manganese and the plant growth hormone – cytokinins.
The fat content of coconut water is so low, it is essentially fat-free and even though it is low in sugar, it has a mildly sweet, delightful taste, making it an excellent alternative to fruit juice and sodas.
According to tradition, coconut water is useful in preventing and relieving many health problems including dehydration, constipation, digestive disturbances, malnutrition, fatigue, heatstroke, boils, diarrhea, kidney stones, osteoporosis, urinary tract infections, and sterility. Whenever someone is sick, coconut water is usually part of the treatment to nourish the patient back to health. Interestingly, modern medical science is now confirming the effectiveness of coconut water for many of these conditions.
Low in calories, naturally fat- and cholesterol free, more potassium than four bananas, and super hydrating – these are just a few of the many benefits ascribed to this latest health craze: coconut water.
Below are the health benefits that coconut water has to offer:
- In the tropics where heatstroke and dehydration are common problems, it has long been known that coconut water is far more effective in relieving symptoms associated with these conditions than either plain water or fruit juice. Because of the nutritional content of coconut water, fluids and electrolytes are absorbed quicker and more efficiently into the bloodstream than with other beverages and fluids. It has been used extensively as a treatment for cholera, dysentery, influenza, and other infectious diseases that promote dehydration.
- Good for losing weight: Drinking coconut water can aid in losing weight as it is low in fat, cholesterol and chlorides. Coconut water has only 50 calories a cup. It keeps a person feeling full and reduces food cravings.
- It is excellent drink for diabetics as coconut water improves blood circulation. One of the characteristics of diabetes is poor circulation and a tendency to develop atherosclerosis. Many of the complications associated with diabetes, such as numbness in the feet, loss of vision, and kidney failure are a consequence of poor circulation. Coconut water helps dilate bloods vessels, improves blood flow, and reduces plaque formation, thus helping to relieve these symptoms. Coconut water also contains certain forms of dietary fiber and amino acids that help moderate sugar absorption and improve insulin sensitivity thereby controlling the blood sugar level.
- Regular drinking of coconut water is beneficial for kidneys as it can clear-up bladder infections, remove kidney stones, and reduces the risk of kidney stone formation in future. Tender coconut fluids acts as a natural diuretic because it has properties that tend to increase urine production and flow. Urologists around the world recommend that kidney stone sufferers should drink coconut water every alternate day to gradually reduce their stone size for easy elimination throw urine and also eliminating the need for surgery.
- Coconut water also reduces hypertension by promoting excretion of water out of the body. High blood pressure is one of the primary risk factors associated with heart disease and stroke. The minerals potassium and magnesium which are found in abundance in coconut water are responsible for this diuretic effect.
- Coconut water is also known as a heart tonic as it is used to strengthen the heart and improve circulation. Research bears out that coconut water consumption improves the ratio of good cholesterol to bad and reduces plaque formation in arteries, thus reducing risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Coconut water has long been known for its therapeutic effect on the reproductive system. It is reported to improve sexual vitality. Medical research has shown that the consumption of coconut water can be very effective in dissolving kidney stones.
- Apart from the above there are some other lesser known properties of coconut water which may become the route for a big finding in future. Coconut water also has anti viral and anti bacterial properties as it has been found helpful for a person who has flu or herpes both of which are due to types of virus that attack the body. Cytokinins present in coconut water are being tried for their beneficial effects for anti aging, anti carcinogenic and anti thrombotic as these slow down the growth and proliferation of cells.
- Coconut water works wonders for your skin too. When coconut water is applied to acne, spots, wrinkles, stretch marks, cellulite and eczema, and left overnight for two to three weeks, it clears up the skin giving a youthful looking smoother skin. This effect is due to the presence of cytokinins as they regulate growth, development, and aging. Cytokinins can slow down the ageing process of cells thereby keeping the cells look and behave younger for longer. It can be used as a light moisturizer on oily skin. In addition to the benefits to the skin it also helps in repairing and growth of nails and smooth hair.
The only drawback with coconut water is that it is high in sodium, for example, a cup of coconut water contains 242mg of sodium. And also the limited shelf life; once a coconut is cut open the water should be consumed immediately as exposure to air can result in loss of nutrients.
Coconut water is a healthier option than most of the packed or fresh fruit juices, sodas and energy drinks as it’s not adulterated with preservatives or artificial sweeteners .So stay hydrated with coconut water this summer.
Authored by: Team, Health Sanctuary